Those who suffer from persistent back pain, but lack the means to have surgical correction done in their home country, can benefit from traveling for a lumbar artificial disc replacement in India. In recent years, spine surgery in India has become popular among residents of Australia, the USA, Canada and the UK looking to save money on this potentially life-changing procedure.
What is Spinal Disc Replacement?
Lumbar disc replacement has been growing in popularity since 2004, when it was approved by the FDA as an alternative treatment to conventional spinal fusion surgery.
The procedure, performed under general anesthesia, involves replacing a worn disc with a metal or metal-and-plastic prosthesis. A 2005 study by Bertagnoli, et al. published in Spine (Phila Pa 1976), demonstrate[d] a patient satisfaction rate of 93% with a spinal prosthesis manufactured by ProDisc.
Spinal disc replacement is not recommended for patients with any of the following conditions:
- pain in more than one or two discs
- other joint diseases
- nerve compression
- previous spinal surgery
Why Travel for Lumbar Artificial Disc Replacement in India?
- Lumbar disc replacement costs in India are significantly less than in more developed countries. Many patients find savings of up to 70% over the costs of similar procedures in Australia, Western Europe or the USA.
- Many people worry that because of the lower cost of spinal surgery in India they will receive a lower quality of care. In fact, the difference in price of artificial lumbar disc replacement in India and the developed countries of the West is largely a result of the former’s lower cost of living, and does not reflect the level of care administered at the hospitals.
- Many doctors specializing in back surgery in India have received training abroad.
- As well, India is home to numerous hospitals and clinics that have been accredited by the Joint Commission International (JCI) and the National Accreditation Board for Hospitals & Healthcare Providers (NABH).
Where to Travel for Spinal Disc Replacement in India?
- New Delhi: As the country’s capital, and second-most populous city, New Delhi is home to many well-equipped clinics and hospitals. Spine surgery in New Delhi is a great option for patients from Australia, Europe and the UK.
- Chandigarh: Spine surgery in Chandigarh is another popular option for medical tourists. A modern planned city in the north of the country, Chandigarh is reported to be one of the cleanest in India.
- Bangalore: An education and technology hub home to many hospitals, clinics and universities, Bangalore is a convenient choice for artificial disc replacement surgery in India. Known as the ‘Garden City’ of India, Bangalore serves as a suitable destination for patients looking to enjoy a comfortable recovery.
About Travel to India
India can be a daunting place to visit, especially if it’s your first time. Here are some tips for planning a trip for a degenerative disc replacement in India that will take the hassle out of traveling and allow you to focus on your treatment:
- New Delhi and Bangalore both host international airports.
- Hindi and English are both official languages of India. As well, all medical training is done in English, so you should have no difficulty communicating with your doctor.
- India’s currency is the rupee. Many smaller businesses won’t accept credit cards or travelers checks, though in most cities international ATMs are plentiful.
- Be sure to confirm visa requirements with the Indian consulate in your country well in advance of your trip.
- Be prepared for hot weather; in most parts of the country, average temperatures in summertime regularly surpass 32˚C.
- Stay healthy by avoiding drinking tap water or eating street food.
With a few precautions, it’s easy to travel for a lumbar total disc replacement in India.
While many people find it to be an excellent way to save money on an important procedure, traveling for a lumbar artificial disc replacement in India may not be for everyone. Be sure to consult your doctor beforehand to determine if the procedure is right for you.
Submit the free quote request form on the right for more information on Lumbar Artificial Disc Replacement in India.