For patients from the USA, Canada, Western Europe, and Asian Pacific countries, where medical procedures are exorbitant, seeking relief from anguish and disability caused by knee problems for low prices is now possible, thanks to affordable knee replacement in India.
Indian doctors and scientists have been pioneers of low cost and innovative medical devices and services. A leading example of this is the Jaipur knee which got a berth in the coveted list of Time Magazine’s top 50 inventions of 2009. India has comfortably ensconced itself as a sought-after destination offering medical treatments to suit everyone’s pocket.
Knee replacement surgery, also known as knee anthroplasty, involves substituting parts of the knees that support body weight with prostheses. An increasing number of people are opting for knee replacement. As per demographic information provided by the American Association of Orthopaedic Surgeons, nearly 500,000 total knee replacements (TKR) are performed each year in the USA alone.
Knee replacement surgeries are considered when conservative therapies such as the following do not provide relief from knee pain:
- Weight loss, in case the patient is overweight and experiences knee pain
- Strengthening thigh muscles by exercising
- Wearing knee braces for reducing pressure from knees
Knee replacement is suitable for candidates who:
- Suffer from osteoarthritis
- Suffer from severe pain which restricts everyday activities
- Experience stiffness in and instability of the knees
- Have deformities such as bowed legs that restrict their normal movement
Different Types of Knee Replacement Surgeries Offered in India
Total Knee Replacement Surgery
- This involves removal of weight bearing surfaces of the knee and correction of bow leggedness. It is considered in case of severe knee damage and trauma caused by arthritis or injuries.
- You will also find minimally invasive options for total knee replacement in India, in which precision instruments are used for making smaller incisions.
- Before undergoing treatment, morbidly obese people should consider weight loss and may opt for bariatric surgeries in order to avoid complications arising from total knee replacement surgery.
Partial Knee Replacement Surgery
Partial knee replacement surgery in India is a low cost solution which involves replacement of only the severely damaged part of the knee. The main advantages of partial knee replacement over total knee replacement are:
- Smaller incisions
- Less likelihood of infection
- Less blood clotting
- Shorter hospital stay
There are a number of benefits which medical tourists can reap by getting knee implants in India:
- Cost of knee replacement surgery in India is significantly lower than in the USA, the UK, and Canada.
- Even after taking into account traveling and accommodation costs, the total cost for undergoing knee replacement surgery in India is expected to be only a fraction of what surgery alone would cost in first world countries.
- Low cost does not necessarily imply compromising with quality.Indian medical services are known for their high quality, which is at par with that in the developed nations of the world.
- There are many Joint Commission International (JCI) accredited hospitals in India strictly complying with the high quality and safety standards set by the commission. Reputable medical tourism facilitators can help international patients avail services of the best hospitals for knee placement in India.
- The leading orthopaedic surgeons in India are highly qualified, with a number of them having global experience. Many of them have affiliation with medical boards and associations of standing.
- Language is a not a problem in India as the country boasts of the second largest English speaking population in the world. Many hospitals in India employ language interpreters and translators for the convenience of their non-English speaking clientele.
- A trip for knee replacement in India also gives patients the opportunity to travel and enjoy the beauty and splendor of this vibrant country and savor its gastronomic delights. However, painful or surgically-treated knees may not be ideal to head on an excursion and it is advisable to have a frank discussion with your surgeon and keep your expectations practical.
Travel Tips for Medical Tourists to India
Knee arthroplasty in India allows medical tourists to have their debilitating knee conditions corrected for only a fraction of the prices. Paying heed to the following pointers will ensure they have a hassle-free medical trip.
- Always carry a mosquito repellent and avoid eating street food. Hygiene standards in India can vary from those in first world countries.
- Always drink bottled water and avoid tap water.
- Beware of pickpockets, touts and swindlers.
- Carrying a Hindi/English pocket dictionary should help you guard against potential language barriers when out on the street.
Knee replacement in India can be a viable option for those looking for quality and affordable solution to correct their ailing knees.
Submit the free quote request form on the right for more information on Knee Replacement in India.