Hip replacement in India is fast emerging as a viable option for people suffering from chronic pain and disability, deterred by the cost of the procedure in their native countries. The cost of hip replacement surgery in India could be as much as 60-70% less than that in the US, UK and Canada.
Recent years have seen an increase in the number of medical tourists from the West flocking to the country, attracted by the reduced prices, world class medical facilities and highly qualified practitioners.
An article by The Economic Times stated that approximately 450,000 medical tourists visited India in the year 2007 and this number has been increasing by 20-22% annually, since then.
What is Hip Replacement Surgery?
It refers to a surgical procedure whereby the hip joint is removed and an implant is inserted in its place.
It is useful for patients suffering from degenerative diseases like:
- Rheumatoid arthritis.
- Certain hip fractures.
- Avascular necrosis.
- Ankylosing spondylitis.
- Paget’s disease.
- Juvenile rheumatoid arthritis.
- Benign and malignant bone tumors.
Alternate names – Total hip replacement, Hip arthroplasty, Hip hemiarthroplasty
Roughly 200,000- 300,000 Hip Replacement procedures are performed in the US each year, according to a study by the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons (AAOS).
The Hip Replacement surgeries offered in India are as follows:
- Total Hip Replacement Surgery- When both the patient’s acetabulum (hip socket) as well as the femoral head (the ball end of the thigh bone) is replaced by an implant. Also called Hip Arthroplasty.
- Hemiarthroplasty- When only the femoral head is replaced. Most common procedure are performed following a fracture of the femur (thigh bone) in very old patients.
Hip Replacement – The Risks and Rewards
- Freedom from chronic pain.
- Ease in mobility.
- Restoration of normal hip function.
- Ease in performing day to day tasks like climbing stairs etc.
- Metal sensitivity
- Nerve Palsy
- Leg length irregularity
Hip Replacement surgery is one of the most effective orthopedic surgeries with an estimated patient satisfaction rate of 97% worldwide.
Why India for Hip Replacement Surgery?
Many factors contribute to the surge in number of medical tourists, seeking hip replacement in India:
Health Professionals in India
- India is home to a number of dedicated, highly skilled health professionals. The physicians, surgeons and paramedical staff are well qualified and considered among the best in the world.
- Hip replacement surgeons in India constantly upgrade their knowledge by attending numerous conferences at an international and national level.
- They provide world class, comprehensive medical care and ensure that the patients are treated with utmost warmth and consideration.
Medical Care in India
- Indian hospitals are equipped with cutting edge technology, world class infrastructure and all amenities to make the stay as comfortable, enjoyable and safe as possible.
- More than 10 hospitals spread out in the major cities of the country are, at present, accredited by the JCI (Joint Commission International)
- This makes it imperative for these hospitals to adhere to international standards of hygiene and medical care. They are subjected to a number of vigorous inspections to ensure they provide world class healthcare comparable to that in the West.
- The combination of internationally recognized surgeons, latest medical technology and high standards of hygiene have all contributed to make India the perfect destination for medical tourists from all over the world
Cost of Hip Replacement in India
- The cost of hip replacement surgery in India is estimated to be 1/10th of that in US, UK and Canada.
- According to a recent study it is estimated that around 47million people in America do not have health insurance, which makes the cost of any surgery burn a big hole in the pocket.
- Even after one takes into consideration the airfare, living accommodation and post surgical stay, medical procedures in India still fall a lot cheaper than the West.
- India offers affordable hip replacement surgery without compromising on the quality of care provided.
- Overburdened medical systems in US, UK and Canada result in long waits before patients are able to merely consult a specialist.
- The average wait for hip replacement surgeries in such countries is around 1 year.
- India, with its large number of qualified surgeons and operating rooms, allows immediate treatment, without any significant waiting period.
- The country boasts of having completed complex surgical procedures even at a day’s notice.
Easy for medical tourists in India
- “Athithi devo bhavha” which roughly translates to “Guest is God” is one of the most ingrained sayings for all Indians.
- The warm ambience and friendly nature of the locals go a long way in making the tourists feel at home.
- The medical personnel treat all patients with respect and empathy and place high emphasis on doctor-client confidentiality.
- English is the main medium of communication of the Indian doctors and nurses. Also translators are available for other languages to make sure the medical tourists face no difficulties during their stay.
Post Surgical Care
- A number of precautions need to be taken after the surgery to prevent infection and other complications from setting in.
- The surgeons guide you through the entire post surgical period step by step and also provide intensive follow-up care as well as information for home care.
- It is of utmost importance to select a doctor you feel the most comfortable with and to discuss your expectations from the procedure in detail.
- Before and after the procedure, there is an opportunity to sample the rich, diverse culture of India, bask in the glory of the historical landmarks and enjoy the beauty of this tropical holiday destination.
Combine Healthcare and Sightseeing in India
Patients coming for hip replacement in India, can enjoy the scenic beauty and exotic landscapes, of one of the most culturally rich, beautiful and dynamic countries in the world. A medical vacation here enhances the healing process and revitalizes the mind, body and soul.
From the fancy malls to the flea markets, shopping in India is a unique experience, not to be missed. There are also a number of other tourist attractions in the country:
- The Taj Mahal in Agra.
- The Qutub Minar, Akshardham, Humayun’s Tomb in Delhi.
- Ajanta Ellora caves.
- The backwaters of Kerala.
- Sandy beaches of Goa.
- The awe inspiring beauty and serenity of the Himalayas in Leh, Ladakh.
Medical Tourists in India – Do’s & Don’ts
Foreigners must carry valid passport and all the necessary documentation while travelling to India.
- Tourists should take care of valuables while visiting crowded places to avoid becoming victims of petty crimes like purse snatching.
- Avoid travelling alone to remote places at night.
- Always make sure that the food is from a hygienic source. Avoid street food.
- Always drink bottled water.
- Do not encourage beggars by giving them money.
- It is advisable for tourists to get in touch with reliable medical tourism companies, which will connect them to the right hospital for hip replacement surgery in India and answer all related queries and assuage all doubts.
Hip Replacement Surgery in India is attracting medical tourists from different parts of the world because of the reduced prices, high quality medical care, dedicated surgeons and negligible waiting period.
Quality Surgery India facilitates affordable medical treatments at various hospitals under our network in India. For more information and FREE quote, submit the estimate–request form on the right.