Anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injuries are one of the most common orthopedic injuries. According to the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine, 150,000 ACL injuries occur in the United States each year. Obtaining ACL surgery in India can be beneficial for those on a limited budget but who want high quality surgery in world-class facilities.
With the rise of medical costs and decline of accessibility to health insurance in the United States, doctors and surgeons in India perform ACL surgery at a much lower cost than one would find in the United States because of the lower cost of living in the Southwest Asian country.
Besides the reduced cost of ACL surgery in India, other factors that appeal to medical tourists are the rigorously trained doctors, well-equipped medical facilities, and the warm climate. It is partially because of these benefits that India’s health industry is projected to increase its revenue from $25 billion to $190 billion within two decades, according to the article “A revolution in healthcare,” written by Fred Hanson and published in the journal of the Institute of Public Affairs in January 2008.
ACL Repair Surgery Explained
- The ACL is a major ligament in the knee and is frequently torn in sports injuries.
- To perform ACL surgery, surgeons make tiny incisions in the knee to repair its structure. They may also perform open knee surgery using larger incisions.
- ACL reconstruction surgery involves the use of a graft to replace the anterior cruciate ligament. Grafts come from tendons in your body, such as those in the hamstring or the kneecap.
- Ideal candidates for repair surgery are those with severe ACL tears, who are required to use their knees for job or sports, who have the time to go through physical therapy after surgery, and are experiencing a lower quality of life due to their injury.
- One should be prepared for several months of a physical rehab to re-attain the full range of motion in their knee after surgery.
Pros of ACL Tear Repair Surgery in India
Whether one is seeking ACL replacement surgery or any other kind of knee surgery in India, the cost of the surgery will be much lower than in the United Kingdom or the United States.
- Thanks to the low costs of living, the orthopedic procedures in India are only a fraction of their prices in the developed countries of the West.
- One does not have to wait long to receive quality surgery in India. The waiting times to receive torn ACL surgery in India are much shorter than in other countries with overburdened healthcare systems such as the UK and Canada.
- For your anterior cruciate ligament surgery in India, you can choose from numerous NABH and JCI accredited hospitals.
- The renowned orthopedic surgeons in India have years of experience behind them of treating patients from all corners of the world. Quite a few of them also have experience of practicing in the US, the UK, and Canada.
ACL Surgery in India – Some Considerations
- One should keep in mind that after anterior cruciate ligament surgery in India, (s)he will likely have to schedule physical rehab back home, where medical costs are most likely to be more expensive than in India.
- A long plane ride could be uncomfortable for your knee before you travel for your ruptured ACL treatment in India.
- You might contemplate bringing along a companion to India. Do not forget to factor in the expenses related to your companion’s stay in India.
Traveling for ACL Reconstruction Surgery in India – Handy Tips
- When traveling for ACL repair surgery in India, you should make sure to pack light cotton clothing and plenty of sunblock.
- You should check the certifications and accreditations of the hospital and surgeon you are planning to engage for your ACL surgery in India. You can also ask for patient references.
- When in India, it is advised that you try to blend in with the natives to avoid being a target of theft. As clothing is inexpensive in India, you can pack little clothing and then buy a wardrobe there.
- You should only drink bottled water in India. You can also eat yogurt if you are prone to traveler’s indigestion.
- Bargain hunting is common in India and haggling is expected. There are many open air markets you can visit to get the best deals on jewelry, clothing, and household items.
ACL surgery in India is a low cost alternative to getting treated in the United States and in Europe. Choosing India as your medical tourist destination allows you not only to save money on treatment, but also gives you access to top orthopedic surgeons and well-equipped medical facilities.
Submit the free request quote form on the right for more information on ACL Surgery in India.